Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Lands: Night Plains, Forest, Mountain and Swamp

My attempt at creating some MTG lands. Night Plains is the first environmental illustration I’ve ever made digitally. I actually sketched it using acrylics on paper even before I got my tablet. My main goal was to create an interesting composition and I’m pretty satisfied with the result. It would be cool to make a full series of 5 MTG night-theme lands someday.


The forest one is a perfect example of my obsession for details. My mistake was not to plan appropriately and think about composition. But even a bigger mistake was to zoom in and render every pixel in the background. When I zoomed out, I realized that I’ll have to bring the rest to a similar level of detail, otherwise whole illustration will fall apart. Took me an insane amount of time to finish it.



Mountain is something between speedpainting and full illustration. I was trying to avoid getting into unnecessary detail (and not zoom in) and imply them using some custom brushes (brush settings in Gimp are probably the main disadvantage when compared to photoshop’s – I need photoshop!).



Swamp – with this one I wanted to do something that wasn’t done before (reffering to MTG swamps obviously). I achieved a nice mood quite early in the process, but again... lack of pre-render-phase planning made it way longer to render than expected and I’m not entirely satisfied with the composition (however I still like this piece).

No comments:

Post a Comment